On Jan 26, 2005, at 7:25 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

Tim Bray wrote:
On Jan 26, 2005, at 5:54 PM, Brent Simmons wrote:
I agree with that. It's something many feed producers care about -- I get email just about every day asking how to make a favicon appear in my software. And I always wish I could say that there's a way to specify it in the feed.

I would favor specifying that favicons should be 16 x 16, or at least that they should be square.
Uh, the way browsers do it is just like the way robots.txt works. They do a GET on "/favicon.ico", hardwired path, and (at least some of them) just silently ignore it if it's not 16x16. This sucks (just like /robots.txt sucks) because if you have multiple "sites" on the same host you're hosed. This is *not* just an RSS/syndication problem, it's bigger, and I don't think we own it. -Tim

Take a look at:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2003Jun/0132.html

For quite some time, my XHTML has contained the following:

  <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico"/>

Question: would it be of value to people like Graham and Brent if we were to "register" this rel value for Atom feeds?

- Sam Ruby

Yes, this would work for me.

-Brent