On 17 Aug 2005, at 00:14, Mark Nottingham wrote:
On 16/08/2005, at 3:05 PM, Robert Sayre wrote:

I suggested writing the next tag like this:

<link type="http://purl.org/syndication/history/1.0/next"; href="./
archives/archive1.atom">

That's what I would do, too. Not my spec, though. Mainly so I could
put a title in that said "Entries from August" or whatever.

For that matter, if Henry's interpretation were correct, the element could be

  <fh:history nonsense="1">./archives/archive1.atom</fh:history>

And Atom processors would magically know that XML Base applies to the URI therein. It's the magic that I object to; inferring the applicability of context based on the presence or absence of other markup isn't good practice, and will lead to practical problems. E.g., what if I want to have an optional attribute on an empty element? Is it "simple" or "complex"?

Yes. I agree the problem also exists for complex extensions. My question is the following:

How can a parser that parses atom and unknown extensions, know when to apply the xml base to
an extension element automatically?

Clearly if the extensions themselves were to use only xlink:link elements that would be easy. (though atom itself does not give a good example by not following that principle). Is there a place that parsers can get information where they can automatically tell that an attribute is a xlink:link copycat? Or how do they tell that the content of an element is a URI? Can DTDs or RelaxNG files help? If they could help, would they be retrievable mechanically by a processor of
xml to help it work out how to deal with relative references?

Anyway to summarise: if you don't want to use the atom:link element then perhaps it would be best to use the xlink:link attributes. I have only read that spec quickly [1] but this would
mean that the following

  <fh:history xlink:href="./archives.archive1.atom">

would widely be understood to work with the xml:base.

Henry Story

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xlink-20010627/

This interpretation of extensions seems very fragile to me.