You're right that the differentiation in the content-type is of less
importance but without it there's no way for me to unambiguously
indicate that a resource has both an Atom Feed representation and an
Atom Entry representation.  The best I could do is say "This things has
two Atom representations".  Keep in mind that I want to be able to
differentiate the types of alternate representations available without
having to look at any of the other rel keywords.

- James