The difference between a collection of entries and a single entry is
an important one. Sure, once you get inside the Entry, everything is
the same, but knowing ahead of time that you are requesting a single
Entry assists in processing. If I'm getting an
application/atom.entry+xml I know to use my stylesheet for only a
single Entry, whereas when I'm getting an application/atom+xml
resource, I know I have a collection containing 1 or more Entries.
It's the difference between having a variable, or a list of variables.

Imagine a system that uses conneg to give atom representations of a
file system. I could request http://www.example.com/db/foo/ and
depending on what I put in my accept could determine whether I'm
getting back the collection of contents of foo/ or if I'm getting the
information on the foo/ folder. There are times when you need to
differentiate between the two types when rel="" values are not
available.

I agree with James that there should also be a different rel="" value
to tell the UA what to do with it, but you still need that different
type to signal the difference in what it actually is.

Since most UA's out there don't really deal with single atom entries
as it is right now, and most parsers will have to accept that they
might get back only a single entry from an application/atom+xml and
the ones that don't understand how to work with a single Entry will
just ignore the application/atom.entry+xml link anyway, the impact
isn't all that great to clear up this difference in semantics now and
for good.

Daniel E. Renfer
http://kronkltd.net/