On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 19:42:20 +0100, Kyle Marvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

This points out that the above rel+type don't carry sufficient semantic
meaning to help a UA decide what to do with them. I don't think anyone on this thread is disagreeing with that. This discussion (as I understand it) is about what to do given that ambiguity. You can either get more specific with the rel value, with the content-type, or with both.

The problem with baking the necessary information for this particular use case inside the 'rel' value is that we possibly need a million different 'rel' values for a million diffierent use cases, or what we'll see is semantic overloading where 'rel' values are abused to mean different things in different use cases and that again will hurt interoperability.

Instead, we can let consumers define their own use cases upon the given content type and not push our pre-defined use cases (in the form of 'rel' values) down their throat because we're too reluctant to expand the MIME type of atom with a 'type' attribute (or something similar). Are we confident enough about Atom's entire spectre of use cases to say that different 'rel' values are sufficient?

I think not. Give consumers the correct content type of the resource instead, and they can themselves decide what to do with it, on the base of a more general 'rel' value that don't dictate what they can and can't do with it. 'rel' values are not sufficient to solve this issue imo. We need something less fine-grained and more generic. We need to define this at the HTTP level.

--
Asbjørn Ulsberg     -=|=-    http://virtuelvis.com/quark/