Look at the file src/Languages.cpp and you will see the table where these
language names are defined as strings in C++ code.  The names are not
defined in any .po files, nor can I find where they are named in wxWidgets
sources.  Is there something in `man locale` that tells you how to retrieve
the language's self-name in Unicode with some C library call?  I don't know
of it.

So, correcting this table of names may be difficult.  For instance:

   localLanguageName[wxT("fr")] = wxT("Francais");

To make the proper c with cedilla, as a C++ wide character string literal,
looks like this:

   localLanguageName[wxT("fr")] = wxT("Fran\u00e7ais");

I just tried this and it makes the dialog display better, but the code is
harder to read, and probably not easy to write either.

I don't have the time now to figure out the correct Unicode escapes for all
of them.

But maybe one of you has the dedication to do that, and we can get it into
version 2.2.2.

I would rather fix it all at once, then only partly.  So someone should
also research all the languages in the list without any active workers in
this group now.

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 5:30 PM, Paul Licameli <paul.licam...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Look at the file src/Languages.cpp and you will see the table where these
> language names are defined as strings in C++ code.  The names are not
> defined in any .po files, nor can I find where they are named in wxWidgets
> sources.  Is there something in `man locale
>
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 8:34 AM, <treb...@tuxfamily.org> wrote:
>
>> Le 2017-11-26 13:12, mkpoli a écrit :
>>
>>> I recently noticed that language JA is using the romanized
>>> autoglossonym "Nihongo" in the combo box, rather than the English name
>>> for it "Japanese". I also found "Suomi", "Svenska" ,"Russky",
>>> "Francais" and "Ellinika".
>>>

>> I can confirm for French here.
>>
>> The are all anglicized romanization of
>>> autoglossonym of that language. I think it is not clear at all
>>> especially for languages not using Latin script (even worse if using
>>> non-phonemic writing system, e.g. at least Ellinika can (nearly)
>>> one-to-one correspond to Ελληνικά), and it is also not
>>> consistent since Chinese, Korean and some other languages are in
>>> English name.
>>>
>>> It would probably cause confusion in finding the desired language.
>>>
>>> I disagree using English name for languages, it is also not that easy.
>>> I think at least language combo box should contain autoglossonym.
>>>
>>> English name + autoglossonym (Preferable):
>>>     Chinese (Simplified)      简体中文
>>>     Chinese (Traditional)     繁體中文
>>>     Japanese                  日本語
>>>     Finnish                   Suomi
>>>

>> + 1 for this suggestion since it allows language readers + English
>> readers to do understand it.

I think just the locale abbreviation and the self-name of the language, not
the English name.

After all, if I show the English name for French, when I am in English
locale... should I show the French name for English if I'm in French locale
but switching out?

No, I don't want to bother getting n^2 strings for n languages!

Just listing each language's self name is what I am used to seeing in
Wikipedia page sidebars, so it should be all right here too.

>> autoglossonym only (Preferable):
>>>      简体中文
>>>     繁体中文
>>>     日本语
>>>     Suomi
>>>

>> +0.5 : since it doesn't allow me (as an example) to understand that
>> Chinese is supported since I don't read Chinese.
>>
>> English name only (Not good):
>>>     Chinese (Simplified)
>>>     Chinese (Traditional)
>>>     Japanese
>>>     Finnish
>>>

>> -1 since it *only* allow English readers to understand it (my
>> grand-father is out of the run here)
>>
>> current (Worse):
>>>
>>>     Chinese (Simplified)
>>>     Chinese (Traditional)
>>>     Nihongo
>>>     Suomi
>>>

>> -2 : really bad
>>
>> Another possibility which would requires some work code-wise and
>> translation-wise would be to have them all translated to every language and
>> then display with  (example with French locales) :
>>

>> Localised name + autoglossonym only + English name:
>>>     Chinois (simplifié)       简体中文      Chinese (Simplified)
>>>     Chinois (traditionnel)    繁體中文      Chinese (Traditional)
>>>     Japonais                  日本語        Japanese
>>>     Finois                    Suomi        Finnish

More trouble that it is worth, I think.

PRL