Re: Where do you get your music?

@Sebby, I disagree the "presumably because apple thinks you will like their way of doing things" attitude has any give and take to it.
It's just like if you had a town with only three supermarkets and no other shops for miles, and one supermarket said "Well not only will we only stock our own produce, but you cannot come in with a shopping bag you didn't buy from us, or park in the driveway, or cook with our products if your mixing them with anyone else's"

It's restrictive monopoly pure and simple. Apple could support file based playback, could support usb transfer, they just don't! and when you go on about clouds and data and what not, my brain goes la la la la la la why can't I just play the files on my computer like I always did? Oh yeah, sinse that wouldn't be making money for Apple.

As I've said before, I don't give a rat's rear end about any fof computery wootery, I don't care how! something works or what fancy names it's got, I care what I can do with it, and if I can't get my! media collection through Itunes without all these shenanigans,, itunes is an inferior program to Winamp pure and simple.
Indeed I do wonder how much of both the marketing of Apple and Microsoft depends upon blinding people with science and the computery wootery, when actually much of the vaunted capabilities are things that could equally be done with any semi good media player, a usb mp3 player and decent file indexing.

@Figment, despite the above semi diatribe about Apple's restrictions, I will say Apple has it's good points,  rabbid fan girls and boys not withstanding.
I've had hours of fun out of my Iphone, and great access to many useful services. My lady had a windows phone, and even with basic phone functions it was infinitely inferior to Ios with it's built in voiceover, not to speak of all the other capabilities and software made for Ios.

There is a good reason Ios is now probably the second most popular platform for audio games and useful applications for blind gamers, and that is because it's  extremely usable, and for the most part highly efficient, despite the inequities with media, indeed it's the good qualities of things like the Ios interface, use of bluetooth, gyro controls etc not to mention Voiceover (which I have to say is a great way of accessing a touch screen), that make the hole Itunes situation get on my pecks so much.

So, personally I would suggesd just as the Appl zealots are wrong, you shouldn't join the ranks of the irrational haters either, but just weight up the good and bad points yourself, use the bits you wish and not the bits you don't.