Preventing me to rent a house because of my guide dog

Hi,

I wanted to share my story with all of you on here, and I'll say it in advance, it's frustrating. I live in Canada and I have a guide dog. I went to visit a house to rent with my girlfriend, but I did not bring my dog because other people were already living in there for the moment. When the lady asked me if I had any pets, I told her that I only have a guide dog and I explained her that the law clearly states that they can't prevent me to rent the place because of this. She seemed okay with this, although 5 days later she calls back to tell me that she and her boyfriend decided not to rent it to me because of my dog. I clearly explained her once again that the law states clearly that she can't prevent me from renting the house because of this, but she didn't want to change her mind. I also told her she could get in trouble, but no, she kept saying she didn't want to rent it to me, bringing up a new excuse saying that her friend is also inte resting to rent it. Well, I filed a complaint, and the media took my case really seriously and in less than a day almost the whole city knew about it.
This morning the lady messaged me saying she was sorry and that I could finally rent the place. I feel like it's so easy to say sorry after you know how much trouble you're in. I really don't want to rent it anymore because of the trouble she gave me, plus what's the point of living somewhere if you and the owner aren't in good terms? The person at the law office sent me a file to fill up and I can request money for compensation. Overall, I think it's pretty frustrating having to live with this. But it proves that if you really stand up for yourself you're going to get something. It takes someone really.... special to prevent a blind person from renting a house because of a "guide" dog.