Re: BK3, the chesboard of audio game innovation

Hi. Great topic!
I am not familiar with 3d audio libraries or audio processing algorithms, so I can't discuss them deeply, but yeah, I want to talk.
In bk2, all items except the hidden ones had sounds, indicating what they were located. Also, the elements of the game were quite simple. You could hear the game field only by your years, and you didn't have to use static object info so often for this reason.
However, developing bk3, things got much more complicated, and I noticed 2 things.
Firstly, as someone in this topic also mentioned, too many simultaneous sound playbacks makes players confuse, and also destroys the game's atmosphere. Imagine the game world with lots of beeps, or with loud/clipping wave of audio made by many item sounds playing at once. I'm sure you have had such experiences, and you can get what I mean.
Secondly, when I want to add extra information that are difficult to indicate by audio, object info is a very good solution. For example, I want to tell players which direction a surveillance camera is facing. When attempting to do this using sounds, I must use two sounds depending on which direction the object is facing, or which direction it turned to. This also means that players have to memorize the sounds.
For these 2 reasons, I designed the game so that players would need to depend on the object info a lot. I get Ray's friend's thought, but I didn't came up with any better ideas other than using a menu-style information notification structure.
I completely agree that audio games haven't progressed in these days. Lots of side scrollers, shooters, and so on. I hope that new technology or algorisms will be invented, and of course, I want to participate in such activities or experiments.