Re: BK3, the chesboard of audio game innovation

I think something like the sonifier, in the sense of scanning from left to right and playing sounds for what's there, isn't a bad method to try. In my entry for Oriol Gomez's contest at the start of the month, I have a section that picks which x position to scan based on the frame (since the ticker I'm using already keeps track of how many frames have passed), then goes from the top of the map to the bottom, updating anything that needs updating. This is a pretty crude method for dynamic map elements, because those really should be objects instead of tiles, but there's no reason it couldn't be used to show the overall design of the map as well.
I think the reason this sounds easier than it should is because audio games have such low resolution in general. Since most games are tile-based, and since we're terrible at pixel-precision, there's almost never anything on a scale smaller than a character-sized tile. That simplifies sonifying ov erhead immensely, at the cost of detail.

I could try and add this to that game, if anyone wants. I might do that anyway, just to see if it helps.