Re: BK3, the chesboard of audio game innovation

A reply, In which cae_jones pretentiously plugs his terrible projects yet again

Raygrote wrote:

My friend, and I suspect many others who don't like the game, was insistent that the game needs more audible cues. While having better audible height indicators would be awesome, I fail to see how that would negate the need for using cameras to look around.

The first Sonic The Hedgehog game had camera panning. It turned out not to be as useful as expected and got removed in favor of crouching and the spin dash, but the concept remained in use in Disney's 16bit platformers.
(But let's be fair; Sonic is quite possibly the worse game to bog down with camera panning. I'm looking at you, Sonic Adventure. You took a game based around running really fast... and made me take the camera on a cinematic tour of a rocky oasis? One wonders if perhaps you weren't just trying to show off your shi ny new 3D environments.)

Speaking of showing off... the Swamp Platformer, dangit. It does pretty much exactly what we're talking about. The camera controls are more mainstream; everything makes sound; there is no object viewer. Oh, and it's not very popular. I wonder if these things are connected somehow, or if it would have turned out better had someone else done it?

I've gone back and forth on that game in development hell which I shall not name in the hopes that this will protect it from the wrath of Fate, and ultimately settled on something more or less like BK3. Got any ideas on how to do better? Because I been trying. That's like most of what I've been doing since I got here. There are, what, 4 or 5 full 2D platformers, 7 if we count two-level demos like Mota / Montezuma's Revenge / Audio Sonic. And there would be more if I was n't so bloody useless.
A one-handed controller and a full-screen[1] tactile display would do wonders, but it isn't so much an audio game at that point, is it?

If you want everything to make sound, then you can't have much on screen at once, or you need to do something extremely clever that I haven't thought of in my thousands of hours of time not coding. I'm not sure I've come up with anything new since this blogpost.

[1] Actually, if we're talking something more like braille with moving dots, we probably want to start with widescreen. But, eh, tablets and smartphones kinda rendered my tenuous grasp on aspect ratios obsolete.