Re: iPhone screen brightness problem

From what I understand turning on the screen curtain is the same as setting the brightness to zero. It's simply more convenient.

Plus, if you are getting sighted help or handing your phone to a sighted friend, turning off Voice Over so they don't have to deal with how it changes the phone's behavior also turn off the screen curtain so they can see the display, when you get the phone back and turn Voice Over back on, the screen curtain will also be turned back on.

But, to each his own.

If you are running iOS 10, you may have to wait for Apple to fix the screen brightness bug I've heard it has.

I'm still running iOS 9, so I can't help you much there.