Re: Monthly chat november 2016

@Lord Lundin, English pronunciation with a rolled r in lord? there is no rolled r in English English. Sometimes with the scottish accent there is a slight one, and some upper class accents pronounce the r rather forward, but not in a word like lord, it just has that long aw sound pronounced at the front of the mouth rather than the American style one which sounds almost like lard, (being married to an American who's trying to acquire an English accent you get to know these things).

Oh and yes, my lady does want to pick up an English accent because she prefers it, sometimes I do have fun teasing her that if she does that I'll have to start talking like a new York Gangster and put on my best maffia voice, "yeah, ya talkin' proppah just like what we does in nu yok or we gis ya da cemente overcoat!" big_smile ([[wow]], it's hard to write out phonetic ac cents).

thanks for the congratulations. As to the middle finger, though Fyi, in the Uk the gesture is actually two fingers upwards like a backwards v sign. I do see your point, indeed I had to go and look up that topic where I made that postjust to see when it was, suffice it to say 2013 was not a good time for me big_smile.

to be honest though I don't intrinsically disagree with what I said back there on a basic level, since the set of coincidences which bought myself and Mrs. Dark together are so wild and utterly outlandish that they pretty much hit every romantic cliche in the book, from me starting sentences with "I love ---" and finishing with "talking to you", even to her being with someone else at the time and us agreeing to be friends and then finding that that was simply impossible when we spent time together, but being tormented by t he fact that she was with someone else. There was a mad meeting at a train station (with a dramatically delayed train), and me organizing about the quickest plane flight to go and get engaged, heck, we nearly got married at an airport, though I'm glad we didn't and went for a propper wedding, albeit one with playing of the themes from jurassic park and cocoon and a cinderella style coach instead.

It was in no way anything like the hole dating process is supposed to work, indeed I still! believe that process  is inherently biased against men in general, and disabled men in particular.

Good luck with your project and with Evina, though as I said I'm not really one to give advice on that subject other than don't be a scumbag, and hope to be very, very lucky indeed.

University is worthwile, just as a good experience as I've said in other threads, quite aside from anything else, simply because that's where you tend to meet people who are a bit more open minded and inclined to be decent, or at least that's how it worked out for me.

As to me well not much going on, i've got a lot of academic work on my thesis to do so haven't had much time for much else beyond reading books, arguing about accents and the wheel of time with Mrs. Dark (she's currently doing the reread on tor.com by Lee butler which is hilarious and very worth reading if your a Wot fan), and of course reading and writing reviews.

i've moved on to bands of mourning, the sixth mistborn book and I'm finding it a vast improvement from shadows of self which I really didn't like much. Partly it was that the victorian style setting felt so familiar to me, me being a bit of a fan of victoriana, partly it was that I don't really like wax and wane as much as I did vin and elland, --- they're fun but i don't really feel as much attached to them, and partly it was that the book moved so slowly sazed basically had to show up half way through and tell the good guys the plot. When a book literally has to have god appear and tell everyone what the plot is things aren't going well, and even the reappearence of Tensoon from the original series didn't help too much here.

That being said,t he end of shadows of self was rather good, though the very blatant "look! this is the series setup, see, this is a mysterious clue, look it's mysterious!" was a bit overdone.

Bands of mourning however is going really well, the characters are actually developing, and the plot is moving on and has even exited that one city of elandel.

It's one of my problems with sanderson's writing that he sticks nearly all of a book's plot in one place, even if he has a huge world, and in books like the first mistborn novel or elantris  it can make things really drab, one reason why I still think Stormlight is his best work.

Bands of mourning h owever goes elsewhere, and indeed travels more than that, which is nice.

So today I don't know, more work to do, though i'd like to try and checkout some of the blindfold games if i have time, since they really! need more db pages. I actually feel rather guilty since Marty shultz has been doing a great job at bringing the things out, i've enjoyed the game's I've played (especially the arcade ones), but there is a hole bunch that need writeups and I've just not had time to play them and do them, plus i would! like to hit the six hundred games mark in the db by christmas, which means another 18 pages between now and then, though whether we'll manage this I'm not sure.

And that I think is enough ramblings from me on a definitely cold and grim morning.