Re: Monthly chat november 2016

@tj, No, Lord in American english doesn' sound like lard but generally long o's in america sound rather like a's, hence why there isn't a difference other than the voiced r sound in hot and heart. It's to do with the position of the lips, indeed according to my lady when she was learning to sing she was encouraged to do it in an english accent since pulling the lips forward helps far more with air flow.
What I attempted to write in the new york gangster accent was yeah, you talking propper like what we does or we gives you the cemente overcoat, (no gangsters don't do propper grammar either).

@Lord Lundin, sorry but animal abuse not cool, (especially since I just finished reading a book with lots of it). just shut your door.

ouch, well family business is going to get rather complex since Mrs. Dark's mum is now severely ill following a rather badly gone bypass, ---- actually when I say "severely ill" it's the sort of will need a hospice type of seferely ill. Needless to say she's not feeling particularly cheerful about this, and again I still have mondo work to do.

I've started Pierce Brown's Red rising which frankly I'm disappointed in. the write up sounded interesting, sort of a distopea ala the hungar games but with a heavy sf twist. however the main character is so hard bitten as to be a right bastard, which means the real badguys are super bastards, indeed there virtually isn't anyone in the hole book who isn't some range of bastard, and when you combine that with a very cursary overblown writing style and huge amounts of really unnecessary gore and grimness it all feels so overdone as to be a little ridiculous.

It's a shame, the world does have some interesting ideas, like humanity split into colours and society that is sort of like sf roman empire even down to dueling with rather cool morphing blades, and the pacing is rather good with lots of cliffhangers, but everyting is so over done it feels  more like reading a wiki synopses of a propper story written by a thirteen year old with more testosterone than brains.