Re: Game in development: Lost and Hound, a rescue dog RPG

jack wrote:

Hi daisyalesoundworks and welcome to the forum. I'm glad you're taking this approach to marketing the same game to both blind and sighted gamers alike while making inclusive design the heart of the game. I think that'll definitely attract some more sighted folks. @sanslash32 Point taken, though keep in mind some people ,who indeed are blind gamers, can't afford gaming computers. Keep in mind that there is a huge difference between a computer and a gaming computer today. You could have a computer with a 2.7ghz duel core cpu, 8/16gb of ram, yet it still blows as far as game performance goes. The requirements of games today, are largely in the graphics. Some mainstream games demand many different high-quality graphics cards it's ridiculous. Which is why console game development is largely preferred by most big-name game developers, since they have a static set of requirements to work with. And keep in mind virtual machines are a constant threat to just about any mainstream game's performance as you're stuck with the so-called graphics display drivers that vmware provides...unless someone knows a work-around for that. So it makes perfect sense for people to request there to be an option for graphics be disabled. However, it doesn't really have to be a separate executable for that to happen. Have you considered making it a configuration switch to launch the game without graphics, maybe a batch file?

Hi Jack and thank you! I certainly feel welcome. I think you're right, and others have said it too, introducing this as an audiogame will put off sighted people. That's sad but it's also a reality that could keep me from obtaining funding that will support further development of the game.
That will certainly be done in the future, yes. I don't know how to make in-game setting controls yet.
I am purposefully developi ng this game on an average office computer. It is NOT a gaming rig, it doesn't even have a graphics card, only an integrated one. I'm doing this because if I can't run it on this machine then I need to optimize it. I can run it but it's a bit jumpy visually, but all the backend logic and audio works fine, which is why I'm going to release a demo with visuals here soon. I would love to not have two separate versions of the game but it might be an inevitability depending on the feedback I get from this community. I really need to know the average gaming experience of this game on the computers of people with vision impairments.  Also though, it wouldn't be a separate executable. It would simply be a mode once you opened it, I can have the game call whichever version of each map, visuals or not, that the gamer chooses.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : daisyalesoundworks via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : sanslash332 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : daisyalesoundworks via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : firence via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sean-Terry01 via Audiogames-reflector