Re: The beginning of the end for jaws?

@25: Tech departments are lazy, and paranoid. It's usually upper management that's cheap. Tech departments just about the world over are going to get a little sketchy about installing anything they haven't previously approved/worked with/completely combed through onto their networks. Doesn't matter if it's open source or not, and in some cases, open source might actually be an argument against approval--keep in mind just about no one corporate uses Open Office, for example, and there are still way too many business critical servers running Windows. I can see them maybe defaulting to Narrator or nothing if Narrator becomes good enough, but I can't see corporate IT adopting NVDA. And the only reason they'd adopt Narrator is because it's baked into Windows--even Win Server has it. Industry is only just in the last year or two starting a large scale migration to things like Office365, and only because they've decided that O365, or GSuite, is cheaper than running their own on-prem Exchange server or cluster of servers. I've never seen a corporate environment running, for example, Postfix etc as a mail solution, despite the fact that that setup would be significantly cheaper than even O365, even if you factor in you'd need the hardware to put it on--most servers are virtual anyway these days, so even that cost isn't necessarily guaranteed.

@21: See, today I learned. I do have a Linux server, so I could easily stick it on there. Would probably do that, as if I need to send data to some average shmuck on the internet in order to get connected, I'd rather that average shmuck be me. The thing is, with RDP, the only two machines that care about your remote connection are the machine you're sitting in front of and and the machine you're connecting two. As far as I'm aware, that's the same with Teamviewer, except that Teamviewer lets you store authentication creds for the servers you're connecting to. Plus, doesn't NVDA need to be running before you can use NVDA Remote? If the screenreader crashes, aren't you pooched? I'd rather, personally, a utility that lets me restart the screenreader, whichever one I end up using, from where I'm sitting without needing to get up, drive across town (or an hour and a half away), restart the thing, then drive back. RDP and Teamviewer would let me do that. NVDA, to my knowledge, hates both. I don't know if JAWS hates Teamviewer. Narrator, as much as it's improved, hates just about everything.