Re: How big of a deal are 32-bit builds?

Some features you enjoy as a 64-bit builder are:
* Implicit SSE and SSE2 support (higher requires a newer processor, though there are few that don't support all of SSE)
* AVX, AVX-512 support
* XOP, FMA4, CVT16, and XSAVe support
* Greater memory availability
* Much better optimizations all around
There are definitely some things I'm forgetting. But you get to enjoy all of this; in 32-bit, you don't know if you have all of this, and some of it you just don't have at all. Take just SSE and SSE2 support, which is required for the x86_64 architecture. On 32-bit, windows has to check to see if your processor supports it before enabling it. On a 64-bit processor, we don't need to check at all; we just enable it and go. XOP, FMA4, CVT16, and XSAVE are updates to SSE, and if you use a good compiler, its probably going to at least use SSE, if not SSE2. (Intels compilers can use all of this technology and can probably generate the best and fastest code, though GCC is right next to it in terms of optimization abilities followed very closely by LLVM.)
@12, I'm guessing that those who complain about 32-bit support are running a 32-bit version of windows on a 64-bit machine. This (as Munawar has outlined multiple times) is a terrible idea, and has major consequences. I would advise you just to start building for 64-bit and tell those who wine about it to shove off and actually upgrade to a 64-bit build of windows. They'd get better performance anyway.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ogomez92 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ogomez92 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Munawar via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : kaigoku via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Liam via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : kaigoku via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Liam via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Kyleman123 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : burak via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : simter via Audiogames-reflector