Making Simple Concepts Unique

So, I remembered some of the comments people had of "The Veil" at both points of the demo cycles. Some people seemed a bit put off on the fact the combat was similar to "A blind Legend" with a 3 directional combat screen. Then everyone was hoping for something more involved with movement and all these other bells and whistles...

   However, I feel that's probably the wrong way of looking at this. Why not make the simple 3 directional combat a lot more unique and expanded? Ideas are usually built upon past models, and we have seen 3  directional combat used in varied ways. Heck, if 2d fighters are still popular after 20-30 years of the format, it's possible to keep an old gamestyle around.

  So the question; If you were limited to a combat design like in the blind Legend, how would you make it unique? The combat must ultimately follow the same style, though I will allow actions and the like to be taken outside of combat that may affect combat once entered.