Re: Crafting while being blind, can it done?

I haven't done anything with it yet, but have you considered pottery? You can get air-drying clay pretty cheap, also tools pretty cheap, but you don't really need many, if any, to start out with. At least some air dry clays, Amaco for example, can be fired in a kiln too, if you get into it enough. But you can get five or 25 pound things of Crayola air-dry clay off Amazon pretty cheap, and I think they're real earth clay too, though I'm not sure if they can go into a kiln.

The big things about air-dry clay are that they're not as strong as fired clay, and if you're going to do anything with water once they've dried, you need to seal them with something, or your clay will fall apart. Other than that, especially if you get something like Amaco that can go in a kiln, it's basically greenware, in other words pre-fired pottery. That means anything you can make that you'd fire, you can make with air dry clay, because it's exactly what you have to do to make something that can be fired in the first place.

I mention earth clay because there are other kinds of air dry clays, notably some are made of some sort of paper somehow. Obviously you wouldn't be able to fire those, and you may or may not be able to seal them against water either. I haven't looked into them much since I bought some Amaco clay, I think a ten pound box was like $20, but prices seem to vary, so shop around, or start with the Crayola, which is probably cheaper, or at least comparable.

We've mostly looked at stuff on Youtube, for pinch pots and tubes, because I want to try and make some instruments, because I'm that kind of nerd. But you can build quite a lot of stuff. I haven't found any resources specifically for the blind yet, but there are a bunch of blind potters out there, like so.

https://better.net/philanthropy/blind-p … -barriers/

I never thought too much about clay until I found out about air dry clay. It's a pretty cheap entry and you can have viable pieces when you're done, they just won't be as strong as fired pieces, or waterproof unless you apply stuff. Oh also probably not food safe, if you wanted to make usable dishes. But I mean, generally speaking, even if you wanted to make stuff that air dry clay ultimately wouldn't work for like usable food/liquid things, you could still get the techniques down with air dry clay, and depending on what you got, it could even be fired.