Re: Crafting while being blind, can it done?

Metallic clays tend to be more expensive, and the kilns aren't cheap either. However, they're just clay, and pretty much work the same. So grabbing some air dry clay and practicing that would be a great starting point, if you eventually wanted to get into making jewelry with metallic clay.

There's also polymer clay that you can bake in a home oven. I'm not really a fan of it because it seems a lot trickier to work with than actual clay. For instance, they recommend specific thickness ranges to stay within so it either doesn't crack or cures properly, they tend to want you to build around objects, like having the core be a ball of foil, stuff like that. Plus it was, at least last time I checked, toxic, so you can't really make something you're putting your mouth on, like an ocarina. That leaves it right out for me. I did see a project where somebody made one and used a straw as a mouthpiece, but that's just ridiculous.

People do use it to make jewelry though, beads and things. One process is taking different colors and putting them together somehow, so that when you slice them up for beads, the beads are multi-colored. They're called canes and there are probably tutorials on Youtube.