Re: pissed off about accessibility guides

@24 -

My criticism isn't that NG abused them. My criticism is that NG sees this guy as "lesser" than the rest of the design team. Mind you this isn't just a problem with disabilities, it also happens with homophobia, misogyny ect, tokenism basically. But they get relegated to positions that don't get as much power over the full project, unlike the audio games community.

I've worked in the industry and my blind friend who works as my business end has been abused horribly by the industry, this is simply just... not true. Like there's a lot of abuse. And in my case I've experienced abuse because of my visual issues. It's not directly in game dev but I had to quit my job at IBM because I had to prove to them that the migraines were real. Yeah, if you know anything about migraines you know why thats not easy.

Regarding IOS usage - demonstrably false, this AFB publication from 2017 says apple dominates with 79%, little reason to assume it's improved much in the last 3 years. Do consider that most of the users on this forum are likely going to be more technologically adept because of the demographics on this forum vs blindness at large, but this still presents a serious power-control problem.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200304062 … 149519.pdf

I don't think there is, blind people like myself are going to say we don't want to see, or we're not sure because that's all we know. If peple cured blindness from birth, that would be great!

I mean, you also don't represent all blind people and I've definitely talked to blind people who felt weird about it. Like it was pretty clear to some people that the social problems were the reason why they actually had a problem with being blind. The problem with your cure proposition is you're talking over people like that.

Its harder to see with blindness, but this issue is much more amplified in the deaf and autism community. With deaf people, totally deaf people have built their own cultures and languages. You HAVE to read about this because its absolutely fascinating: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/w … n-language

So, deaf people produce their own cultures. Meanwhile, autistic people, well, that's their whole life experience and autism's social difficulties are so abstract that its hard to even imagine what it would be like not being autistic. And so then you erase who that person fundamentally is.

Obviously this doesn't necessarily translate to blind people but you can see its really not this simple.

I think understanding other disability communities is really important to help contextualize disability in general. That's what I experienced and I really recommend people on this forum reaching out.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector