Re: What do you think about the Corona virus conspiracy theories?

@43
Most blind people go out  at least a little, even if it's only close friends/family.  Most of us want things like a significant other.  The delivery and stuff that we used to have has, to my knowledge, always been here.

I wouldn't model it as "most blind people don't go out anyway".  I'd model it as "Most blind people have very few social connections".  And in a situation like this one, that's a liability.  Quarantine can and will destroy those and you can't make new ones easily if at all on the modern internet: go to Facebook or Twitter or like anything else and it's 99% pictures instead of text, even.

Hope for a better future is also valuable when you have little to nothing, and the pandemic also crushes that as well.

@44
I mean, it went from weeks to months to 2021 because no one would wear their masks, metaphorically.  Actual mask wearing is now part of it, but if Trump had slammed the borders shut like some sort of giant bank vault door or something, we'd have had some major disruption for a few weeks and it'd have been over.  If they'd been serious about getting a good contact tracing network, we'd be open right now as well.  The questions you should be asking aren't "is there a conspiracy to keep us closed", they're "why was this mismanaged so badly that we have to be closed".  You cut off your finger to save the hand, the hand to save the arm, the arm to save the torso, etc.  Trump wasn't willing to cut off the finger or the hand, so here we are at the arm, and we can't cut the arm off because then you hemorrhage the economy everywhere and we're even in a situation where our government wants less testing because it makes them look good, nevermind stopping the spread.  So, well, here we are.

The questions you seem to want to ask are tailor-made to find reasons that we should be open right now.  But if you actually wanted to ask questions, you'd be much better off asking ones like why were things handled so badly that we're where we are now.  There's not a conspiracy to keep us closed.  It's very simple.  People didn't listen when almost every medical official in every country on the planet said "you know, this is bad and we need  to do this expensive stuff immediately".  Even you were doing that when this all started, surely the models can't be that bad, etc.  Everyone in power has been doing that too.  Repeatedly.  Every time they do the models were, in fact, that bad.  And then they do it again.  And the models turn out to actually be that bad again.  And round and round and round we go.  We're still doing it now, except now we're trying to change what the scientists get to publish because the scientists being right makes everyone else look bad.

There's lots of countries that cut off the metaphorical finger.  They're open right now.  Europe is getting worse again, but on a timeline that may very well synchronize their next lockdown with a vaccine.  When almost every medical official on the planet freaked out and said do all this stuff now or you're screwed, they listened.  We didn't.  They're open.  We aren't.

But I don't understand, why is wearing a mask bad?  You always come back to things like that.  It's free and takes like 30 seconds at most.  Something like 75% of the social distancing stuff is basically you go hang out outside and don' stand close together unless it's with people in your household.

And: we've had worse viruses.  But we've contained them.  10% of 50000 people is 5000 people.  3% of 300 million people is 10 million people.  Covid is worse than those others because it is currently not contained.  China gave the rest of the world a chance.  We could have done so well, it wasn't even hard.  But we blew it.  "There have been worse viruses" arguments really need a time machine so that you can go back and keep the not-worse virus in one place, but until and unless you have one I don't see the point in making them.  It should also be pointed out that not really that bad viruses can and have mutated.  That's actually where most of the deaths in the 1918 Spanish Flu came from, if I recall correctly, and that happening is alone sufficient reason to be very afraid and to try to keep it from being transmitted all the time.

I don't know what you do for a living, but most of reopening isn't actually quarantine anyway.  Things like retail aren't suffering because the government is closing things down, it's because we're now at the point where almost everyone knows someone who got the virus and was hospitalized because of it.  Not necessarily an immediately a friend, but almost certainly a friend of a friend.  If everyone in power jumped up tomorrow and said "Ok, we're open", very little would change.