Re: Discussion of the 2020 American Federal Election

I think the fundamental issue I have boils down to one thing, at least where America's health care is concerned (and yes, I realize it's not -quite as bad as some would paint it, at least not for a lot of folks).
America's medical system is not for people. It's for profit. Now obviously, when there are tangible costs, it makes sense that someone's got to cover those costs. But the American health system is built around the idea that even those who are ensuring you actually have to continue -making money. This means they're profiting off of the sick and injured, not to mention those who are at a disadvantage. They are taking virtually any excuse they can to charge higher premiums and expand their profit margin, because capitalism. This is straight-up disgusting. And it's more disgusting that anyone would support this and suggest that it's the "American way" or whatever other bullshit one might spew. It's not American, it's capitalistic. Yes, there's a difference. I cannot get past the idea that a health-care system is for-profit, at the expense of those it's supposed to serve.

Here in Canada, using social services as an example, a lot of agencies operate only to cover costs. They often charge only as much as they need in order to break even or to fund very specific initiatives which have an immediate turnaround. For instance, maybe they increase the cost of counselling for a little while because they want to move to a new and better office building, or renovate the old one because it isn't wheelchair-accessible. Or maybe they add small processing fees to certain types of appointments and paperwork because they want to hire a secretary and they don't have some other way to cover that secretary's wages. What they aren't doing is saying, "Yeah, we want to keep serving you, but we're going to raise prices so that we can pay our CEO twenty percent more money to do precisely the same job".