Re: Discussion of the 2020 American Federal Election

The way we do Prime Ministers in Canada is that if you keep getting democratically voted in, you could conceivably hold power for a long time. I feel like SCOTUS justices should have either 1. a flat fixed term, at which point they're forced out regardless, or 2. get voted on every x number of years, and removed if they are voted out, or 3. can be removed by force for specific offenses (for instance, if it's proven that they're taking bribes in exchange for decisions).

What I would like to see, short-term, is this:
1. ACB isn't nominated.
2. Biden uses his power to elect a democratic-leaning justice. This would yield a current 5-4 republican majority.
3. Leave the SCOTUS alone in general after this, but launch an investigation into the thing I raised earlier re: donors, bribes, and that 80-0 republican-majority abuse of power thing.
4. Biden should then focus on stabilizing the country. This wouldn't involve anything crazily left-wing, it would just re-support some version of the ACA, would focus on a plan for Covid-19 and belief in science, would do its best to keep the economy from tanking any worse than it already has.

I think America needs a few years of democratic majority, quite frankly. Canlorn, you're quite right that most people don't know or believe just how fast a country can pull itself apart. I see it, or mostly I do, and this is why I say what I do. I don't like the constant back-and-forth, but right here, right now, we absolutely must shift left a little bit. America needs stability. In four years, I strongly suspect the entire election situation and presidential race will be an entirely different animal. As far as I'm concerned, any strategies right now are amounting to crisis intervention, and that might mean shoving further left and pushing for more reform or stability than you'd otherwise need to. Yeah, it might even involve packing the supreme court at the risk of simply letting republicans continue to run away with the country, when they do not, in fact, represent the majority of American interests at all. After all, tightening things up now doesn't mean we can't let off the gas a little later, if it's really needed. I'd rather not see flip-flops like that, but we need solutions now, and to my way of seeing it, that doesn't necessarily mean playing nice or playing gentle.