Re: code 7

I'm sorry. I reacted a lot more harshly than I should have. Impulsiveness is clearly one of my flaws, and a lot of trouble is avoided when I decide to slow down for a moment and think.

When saying that some of my hints are ephemeral, I imagine you are, at least in part, referring to my interactions with pineapple21 (at least, if you are referring mostly to this topic). Which ... yeah, valid, they are, in a way. Especially given the different levels of English skill, a more direct approach would've worked better. But on the other hand ... perhaps if you ever find the Lerna Computer yourself, you might realize that while worded badly, those hints actually gave away more of the solution than it would seem.

As I said, how openly I give out information depends on the importance of the puzzle in question -- for example, hidden computers like SQPC2 and Lerna are meant to be harder-to-get eastereggs for those that take the time to find them and figure them out, and you honestly don't lose out on much by not opening them. Well, Lerna has something potentially interesting, but SQPC2 ... well, you'll find out, I'm sure. But it also depends a lot of the attitude people approach me with. aAd yeah, for sure, my mood at the time.

For better or worse, I've been taking inspiration from how the game developers give out hints, and trying to copy them; though generally, I still give more details than they do. I want my advice to add to the feel and experience of the game, not detract from it. Does that make sense? Um ... basically, since the puzzles are such a core part of the gameplay and good thinking being rewarded with the next part of the story being such a pro of the game for me, it feels more wrong to "ruin" that than it would be to provide a detailed guide on how to solve a quest for A Hero's Call. It's sort of like magic (card tricks and the like, I mean): everyone wants to learn how it works, but once they do, they can never see the magic again. You can only get that thrill of completing something by yourself once.

Perhaps I need to examine my reasons for not sharing what I know. After all, as you pointed out, we're all here to have fun. I will still give fairly vague hints at the start, to give people a chance to figure things out on their own, but perhaps I shouldn't outright refuse to provide the answer when those hints are not enough.

OK ... now that I think about it, I suppose another major reason about why I am so stingy with info sometimes is because I'm not the smartest person, and it was actually several months after the release of the episodes, when replaying, that I realized what the trick for Lerna was. And Party Heist ... god, did that one take long. So perhaps, while attempting to help people, at the same time I want them to go through some of the same trouble as I did because ... hmm.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Mayana via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : michaelhoffman1976 via Audiogames-reflector
[...]
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : the_ruler_of_dark_forces via Audiogames-reflector