Re: a few complaints about the blind comunity

Hi Guys.
Hmm interesting discussion. I got to thinking about jaws and windoweyes and really what does it cost companies to make something like that? Other than creating  there spacific voices what does it cost besides paying a team of coders to put a screen-reader together. Obviously making accessible programs is a small market but I believe that doesn't mean they have to stop putting effort in their projects.
@Dark, I know what you mean about sighted teachers and people like that think you should do everything one way. I believe when people go to college to learn how to teach blind or low-vision students that they are taught one way of teaching things and that is all. To give you an example I go to college where they have a disabled student services office. I've noticed that most of the people who work in that office have no idea what there doing. Like once I mentioned nvda to a woman who transcribes braille at the college and she had no idea what I was t alking about. She had mentioned to me that the computer lab just got the latest update of jaws and I said, "Why don't you get nvda since that will save the college a whole lot of money" and she had absolutely no idea about nvda. Then there was another time I mentioned how accessible the mac was and she dismissed that right away telling me that apple claims that the mac and iOs devices are accessible but they really aren't which is not true at all. I wish sighted people who are supposed to help the blind would have a more open mind.
I'll never forget when I first started college and I was learning the ways to my classes. I asked for a guide and they told me they didn't do that then I asked if they had some sort of transportation like a tram but they said no that they had one but it was only for disabled veterans. Then I got so frustrated I asked them how do you expect me to be independent if you don't give me at least a little bit of help. And they told me, Well this campus was certified as being accessible." I was so frustrated I finally told them that I was sure that the campus had been certified accessible by a sighted person which I'm still sure is true.
I guess you just learn eventually that you are entitled to some things and not others. I think it's probably better if people learn this lesson at a young age so they aren't let down when they don't get the things that they need or want.