Re: a few complaints about the blind comunity

Nobody's saying only the"blind community" wants free stuff. I've seen plenty of examples of sighted folks demanding it. But it is a very common demand for a lot of the blind people I've met. The amusing ones are the ones who'll refuse to engage in activities unless they can get discounts based on their blindness, yet don't really admit that they're blind. I've known quite a lot of people like that. They're quite common in the area where I live, as are some of the more condesceding people I spoke of in one of m earlier post. but then again it's somehting of a hotbed for the more raddical NFB-minded folks, and their extremist views. I tend to try not to demand things when I go out, even in situations where I might possibly be justified, simply because I don't want to perpetuate the bad reputation we have in some parts of the sighted world. A sighted person meets one rude, demanding blind person and they're likely to as sume we're all like that and treat any future blind people they meet differently. I used to know and hang out with such a person whose answer to every perceived slight was to threaten to take the so-called offender to court and she expected me to be the same way. When the Twin Falls public library refused, understandably in my opinion, to allow her to put braille labels on the packaging of all the audiobooks, she called me up trying to get my support for her ridiculous plan to take the library to court for discrimination, never mind that if you ask nicely for help finding a specific book the library staff are more than happy to help you. I pointed that out as well as the fact that not only blind people listen to audiobooks and so there would be absolutely no guarantee that that braille label would still be there the next time a sighted listen checked the book back in. So Marie would have had to replace labels and would inevitably have gotten bent out of shape about that.