Re: My life of gaming: A closing chapter

Dark, you're absolutely right. I am not judging games, or gamers, as a whole. I'm simply sharing my experience. I'm not even shunning the world in favor of going all in to my relationship with God. That is not what he's told us to do. He says to be in the world, but not of the world. I take that to mean, don't act like the world doesn't exist, just don't get caught up by it's temptations.

I'm not sure I can consider my relationship with God an addiction. I do not consider myself to be a religious man. I know that it is generally the label used to describe someone who believes in some kind of divine power these days. However, God, to me, is not a distant concept. God is a real, living being, 3 beings in one, in fact. He is the only god and all the others are man-made, just as he says. He's not just a series of rules in a book that describes some of his attributes, he is my best friend and has done more for me than any of his c reations could ever hope to. So saying that building a relationship with him is an addiction would be kind of like telling someone not to put too much effort into their marriage, they might damage it. Or perhaps, moderate your friendships, you don't want them to ruin your life. My problem with labelling myself as religious is that these days, it seems to imply that you follow all the rules, that you're a fine, upstanding citizen, that you've got standards to uphold. The relationship, the friendship with God, is swept completely under the rug and forgotten about. It doesn't matter if you believe in God, Satan believes in God and trembles. What matters is, do you know God, have you befriended him and accepted his gift of undeserved grace?

Pelantas, I'm really glad that the lord is moving in your life. I hope that you continue to listen to his call. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you want to talk at all, about God or anything else. I'm n ot leaving because I think negatively of anyone here, but it's just like when I quit drinking. It will be infinitely harder for me to pull away from this with posts about games constantly tempting me. Again, it's a personal choice on my part, and not a reflection of what I think anyone else should do or what anyone else has done.

I just finished an awesome book called Eli. It's about a man who is in a violent car crash and is thrown into a parallel universe. His universe is mostly the same, but instead of the mesiah coming 2000 years ago, it is happening now, in modern times. I highly recommend reading it if you've read the gosples and didn't understand them, if you'd like a more culturally up to date form, or maybe just as a starting point to get you interested in the gosples of the bible. If you're anything like me, it'll add a lot of emotion to it that wasn't there in the gosples, simply because of cultural differences and the to ne of some of the writing. The book is very doctrinally sound, though as the author says it isn't meant as a replacement for the gosples.

Thanks again all for your support and understanding.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : ambro86 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : bladestorm360 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : bladestorm360 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : pelantas via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Phil via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : cx2 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : bladestorm360 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : bladestorm360 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Phil via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : bryant via Audiogames-reflector