Re: Japanese games Translation projects

So I may or may not have watched translation projects struggle to define conventions before... I imagine we should do that. This would range from things like names (Gaki Shounen Vs. Brat Boys, Yamijin Vs. Darkness Person (Or something more creative that gets the same idea across?)), to Japanese language puns/concepts (I don't remember... what is the Japanese name for the Spirit Trees, again?), to cursing (cursing is handled so differently in just various English-speaking cultures that figuring out how to translate so different a system of vulgarity is mind-boggling. Is KUSO "Crap" or "Dammit" or something else entirely? Does it even matter that people get to shout "CHIKUSHOOOOO!" on children's cartoons, even though it's strong enough that it usually gets translated like "FUUUUCK!" or "SON OF A BITCH!"? What about subtle things like politeness/inflection? And I get the impression that Bastard is a much less censored w ord in everywhere that isn't Middle Class America. Well, and BK2 includes a character who is occasionally referred to as "Analysis Bastard", at least until he requests people stop calling him that.)

I wouldn't mind making this optional, actually. If someone prefers untranslated names, they could select this in the translation program; we could have an optional footnote system, and for things where the translation comes down to the opinions of the translator (such as vulgarity), the user could select which opinions they like best. But these are complicated, and we're going for as simple and elegant as possible.

What say you, potential users/translation team?