Aylwin Wrote: > I'll agree but... the above depends on some subjective variables. > > First, each person's definition of an "audiophile system" may vary. Of course! However, I think most would consider my office amplification and speakers (which would have retailed for well over $5K when new) as an "audiophile system". Sure, my downstairs system is better, and it considering it cost 10 times as much, it certainly should be. Regardless, either system was easily able to resolve the -difference- between the DACs that I tested.
Aylwin Wrote: > Second, my definition of external DAC is a dedicated box in which the > sole purpose is to convert digital input (coming from a source CD) to > analog line level output. So internal DACs of receivers, sound cards > or any other devices with more than a simple DAC function don't count. I think you're being a bit pedantic. Even if it's not in a single-purpose box, it's still a separate DAC, with its own performance traits. For example, the DAC in my Roland VS-880 was far better than the SB1's internal module, and I was happy to use it for a while. Ignoring it just because it's not a single-purpose device doesn't make much sense. Aylwin Wrote: > And finally, kronos did ask -"to give us your impressions on the ANALOG > output of the squeezebox 2 compared to your *hi-end hi-fi set-up*"-. I > can't possibly imagine how the SB2's internal DAC and analog section can > be expected to perform at the level required in a hi-end system. Even > in my non hi-end system, the difference is obvious. Why must the SB2's internal DAC be discounted, just because it's included in the box? And as far as hearing differences, almost any change in a system will result in an audible difference. As to whether it�s good/bad, or sufficiently worthwhile for the investment is another matter altogether. Aylwin Wrote: > Therefore, I would say that an external DAC is, in fact, a MUST to > appreciate the SB2 in a hi-end audiophile system. If it's not a hi-end > system then perhaps not. It still depends on the system though (like in > my case). > > But like I said previously, this is all subjective. There is no right > or wrong. Just varying opinions based on varying experiences. Exactly! The point I was trying to make was that not everyone would determine that an external DAC is a "MUST", and that you should begin with the understanding that the internal DAC in the SB2 is really quite good. Ultimately, finding an external DAC with significantly better performance was more of a challenge than I originally expected, so everyone should go into this with an open mind. -=> Mike Hanson <=- -- Mike Hanson _______________________________________________ audiophiles mailing list [email protected] http://lists.slimdevices.com/lists/listinfo/audiophiles
