cliveb Wrote:
> It's refreshing to see a little bit of sanity creeping in over this
> issue. Up til now there seems to have been an almost dogmatic
> assumption by many that an external high-end DAC is mandatory for
> "audiophile" quality. But my experience is that the SB2 analogue output
> sounds absolutely bloody marvelous. And I'm not running any kind of
> micky-mouse system: the SB2 is directly feeding a pair of ATC SCM100A
> active monitors. They've never sounded so good.

Imo the SB2 is good but in no way compares to my Cal Audio Lab redbook
cd player.  Prehaps the some of the biggest improvement gains by using
an external DAC is going to be the replacement of the internal op amp
with a high quality amplifier.  I input into a Classe CP60 analogue
preamp instead of running into my Anthem AVM20 pre/pro.  The Anthem
like most processors is going to convert it back to digital for
processing.

--
Kenr