cliveb Wrote:
> The Benchmark DAC1 is immune to jitter because it sample rate converts
> everything it receives (upsampled to its internal maximum sample rate:
> 96 or 192kHz, depending on the vintage). This allows the upsampled data
> stream to be clocked out by the DAC1's own high-precision internal
> clock, which completely isolates it from any jitter on the incoming
> signal.
> Yes, but in order to upsample it, it will still need to synchronise it's
upsampling clock(s) to the incoming signal - so it still must require a
PLL.

BTW the SB2/3s DAC oversamples - which is effectively the same
technique as upsampling (although oversampling assumes integer ratios,
which makes the digital filtering a bit simpler).

Interesting too, that audiophiles are happy with the Benchmark approach
of upsampling CD (44.1KHz) to 2x48KHz, but baulk at the idea of Roku
upsampling 44.1KHz to 48KHz in their product!  Personally, I think
people get too hung up on the technology and forget to listen to the
results, but hey what do I know, I'm only an engineer.

--
Patrick Dixon

www.at-view.co.uk