Patrick,

> Yes, but in order to upsample it, it will still need to synchronise it's
> upsampling clock(s) to the incoming signal - so it still must require a
> PLL.

The Benchmark uses an AD1896 and upsamples asynchronously, the incoming
clock is not used at all beyond the AD1896, there's a local clock that
totally determines the jitter performance at the DAC.

Everything is upsampled to 110kHz then fed to an AD1853 DAC, the ASRC
acting as the de-jitter process. Of course the internal clock has to be
low jitter (which it appears to be, from the measurements I've seen).

Andy.

--
Andrew L. Weekes