Rajacat,

I do agree with you -- one can approach, and perhaps equal, the
Transporter by going the path of a Squeeze Box and ancillary devices.
I've heard way too many DACs in the last few months, but I can tell you
this: you would be hard pressed to equal a Benchmark and especially a
Lavry.  And, assuming you had the engineering background of a Dan
Lavry, you'd still be into it for the time involved.  Time, of course,
is money.

The Transporter is certainly a luxury item in a few ways.  Instead of
several boxes, you have one box.  Instead of a voided warranty, you
have a valid warranty.  Aesthetically, it is very nice, and this is
worth quite a bit to some people.  My wife thought that the SB3 and
Lavry looked geeky and out of place in our living room. She was right.
She thinks the Transporter looks elegant and cool (her words).  She is
right.

So, I think we are perhaps in agreement -- there are a number of ways
to skin a cat.  Much depends on one's aesthetics, abilities (not
everyone is up to the soldering iron and 'scope challenge), needs, and
budgets.

--
highdudgeon

Relax.  It's about the music.