The most recent issue of MIX MAGAZINE had an article where they did
double-blind listening tests between 24bit/96kHz stereo and
16bit/44.1kHz stereo.  The results based on demographic is quite
interesting, but it really comes down to the fact that you could guess
which one you were listening to by the toss of a coin...no one knew for
sure.  50% of the time, listeners were correct but they couldn't tell
you why.

Anyway, interesting article, yet I'd LOVE to hear a test between 192k
and 44.1k!!  Of the engineers I've talked to, most say that's where you
hear the difference.  96k just isn't enough of a difference to warrant
the disk space and bandwidth.  Of course, we're talking 24bit in ALL
cases!!  If CDs could ever move to 24bit/44.1k...

--
Eric Seaberg

Eric Seaberg - San Diego - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Mac MINI server w/ 500GB external - Multiple SB3s and Transporter
Tannoy and Genelec Bi & Tri-Amped Studio Monitors - 5.1 Surround
Recording Engineer/Producer since 1971 - Member AES, SPARS, SMPTE and
NARAS