ralphpnj wrote:

> And finally, as I've stated over and over, either the Benchmark DAC2 or
> the Weiss used in a super-mega-buck audio system would be
> indistinguishable from any of the super-mega-buck DACs currently
> available, except of course for their solid faceplate, constructed out
> aircraft quality aluminum.

Almost, if you disclaim with any " low distortion flat frequency
response and low noise " [insert apparatus ] ,then they are
indistinguishable . Excludes the mystic designs .

Some of the nonsense praised by TaS etc has got several rounds in this
reality disconnect and thus are designed with almost no reality check
it's a three part dance "hyped nonsense brand" - "cargo cult magazine" -
"audiophile" .
This stuff can sound truly different ,but it's not Hi-Fi any more .

It has gotten to such great length that almost everything written about
audio is nonsense if written in an audiophile context , so no magazine
that relies on sighted testing can't make any proper observation of a
products behaviour .
Tried to read a review on 6 moons (utter crackpots ) the article was
supposed to be about a dac ,but i stopped reading 1/3 in when the review
started to drift and compared different lengths of expensive USB cables
and found them to sound different ?? etc .

This is very insidious the consequence is that if you round up product
a,b,c,d and perform these flawed test methodology and d stands outs head
and shoulder above the others and are very "different" (a,b,c being
neutral ) then something is really wrong but not in their world-view .
Or in many cases the products are truly equal but the final verdict it's
in best case based on look and feel and other biases not accounted for
it’s a toss up . Look at the audio jewellery some produces they look
awesome and that’s the point a fair comparison would tell another story
.
I especially like the tube dudes accusations of that modern high
performance transistor stuff "sounds the same" of course it does that’s
the whole point :)

There are of-course many aspects of product that does not have anything
to do with they audio performance ,quality, features, brand recognition
second hand value serviceability et al .

These guys tried to write accountable audio journalism
http://www.theaudiocritic.com/

read some of the old numbers ,they truly pick the stuff apart . I like
an old article on CD players where they compared a Sony and an Accuphase
that costed 5*more and performed worse ,it basically had the older
versions of the Sony's drives etc (in the 90's accuphase used sony
drives inside ) ,but a lot of added accuphase value that did nothing
sonically .

Here is an old review of the benchmark 1 .
http://theaudiocritic.com/plog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=40&blogId=1

Benchmark 2 has bettered this performance by a wide margin .