heisenberg wrote:
> When comparing side-by-side two versions of the same track, I tend to
> invariably favor the quieter sounding one.

And this is where you're missing the actual point.  You're comparing two
different tracks of different content.  Sure, they might be the same
song, and even come from the same source multi-track, but the mastering
is different.  You seem to prefer the higher dynamic range versions.

This is not what "louder sounds better" is talking about.  If you took
the same exact track and were presented it with a blind test at two
volume levels you would prefer the louder one.

If you always prefer the quieter one, even when done blind, I would say
you are an abnormal case.  Very likely a specific phobia where you have
been trained to intentionally react negatively to loud sounds.