SuperQ wrote:
> And this is where you're missing the actual point.  You're comparing two
> different tracks of different content.  Sure, they might be the same
> song, and even come from the same source multi-track, but the mastering
> is different.  You seem to prefer the higher dynamic range versions.
>
> This is not what "louder sounds better" is talking about.  If you took
> the same exact track and were presented it with a blind test at two
> volume levels you would prefer the louder one.
>
> If you always prefer the quieter one, even when done blind, I would say
> you are an abnormal case.  Very likely a specific phobia where you have
> been trained to intentionally react negatively to loud sounds.

I don't have issues listening to loud music, and I do like to crank it
up. I am more concerned about listening to tracks where everything
sounds at the same or similar level of loudness. In other words, there
are many CDs where the music does not seem to 'breathe', and a flute
that's playing in the background is as loud as the bass guitar etc. I
can't stand that kind of production, and I'm thus finding that I prefer
older CDs, the ones that were cut in the late '80s/early '90s. Often
times modern remasters of those 20 year old CDs sound atrocious, very
heavy handed and ham-fisted. So I'm always keeping my old copies around,
because I prefer their quieter rendition. Many newly minted remasters
sound super loud, and don't seem to have any dynamic range in them. That
totally kills the music for me.