I agree hdtracks is a minefield, and their own sampler tracks are a
spectacular own-goal. DOYR.

I buy a lot of newer music. Often that's originally recorded at 24/44,
24/88, 24/96. Occasionally these original numbers are available for
download and I buy them (usually from Qobuz or 7digital). In these cases
I see down-sampling to 16/44 as an additional step that I don't need. It
might not be audibly better but hey, it's measurably better. (On a
similar note, why should I insert an extra line stage when I don't need
it, no matter how transparent it is? That would be bloody-minded IMO. If
I need it, fine, but if I don't?)

IMV it depends.
- Some DACs have sub-par up-sampling (can be fixed with source
up-sampling). But some DACs have good digital filtering and can
up-sample well themselves. So 16/44 could sound worse than hi-rez when
the playback system is not up-sampling well.
- Some 16/44 had dodgy anti-aliasing filter applied, in these cases the
equivalent hi-rez could sound better.

All that said, I believe if you have access to good up-sampling and a
well-made 16/44 recording then there's probably nothing audible. So, I'm
relaxed generally about 16/44 which, please note, is the majority of
what I have.

Check it, add to it! http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

SB Touch