Golden Earring wrote:
> Hi Clive!
>
> Just for nostalgia's sake (I -am- 63 now, so please indulge me... ),
> I've decided to create a 3-way system: analogue, CD & only 10 years
> out-of-date Transporter-based digital music streamer.
>
> Dave  :cool:

I realise that it's a bit self-indulgent to quote myself, but I'm
-seriously- hypomanic just atm what with my bipolar affective thingy (I
can't sleep, which is why I'm posting on here in the middle of the
night), so I hope that you will understand. If you think that I'm
becoming incoherent (how am I supposed to tell?), give me a nudge & I'll
leave you all in peace.

However, attention span -is- an issue atm, & I have noticed that I
dropped the ball by starting off mentioning my nostalgia project & then
rambling on about Koetsus & not mentioning it again.

So here it is, FWIW: I've decided that my LP12 is *so* behind the things
that it would cost way too much to bring up to current (& vastly
over-priced) spec, not to mention that the bearings in my Ittok are
probably a bit dodgy after 30 years of very little use (none at all for
the last 20!) & 7 house moves in the meantime. So that'll get knocked
out to someone even -more- nostalgic than me, who likes fiddling with
stuff.

Instead, I've secured some fairly serious Avid gear s/hand at a great
price: Volvere SP turntable with bearing upgrade & twin drive belt mod
by the original Avid dealer with SME 309 arm rewired with fully balanced
silver litz internal cable (you *can* make tis work with the Rosewood
Signature if you're prepared to get down & dirty with all the
adjustments - & since I AM the Devil, attention to detail IS my
speciality  ;) . Obviously the SME Series V is a potential upgrade, but
from what I've read, most of the advantage is in the ease of adjustment
rather than any major improvement in sound, *if* I succeed in getting
the 309 aligned correctly. Add to that a pretty serious 2 box MM/MC
phono preamp, with balanced XLR in & outs, called the Pellere (this is
definitely my king of kit: its multitude of adjustable cartridge
concealed on the underside of the unit, so the front has no controls at
all - &why not? after all, once you've set it correctly, it's done... ).

So that's the nostalgia analogue side: I'm just praying that the Koetsu
is still on-song, since Sugano-sen Senior who made it has not been with
us for some time, although Sugano-sen Junior is continuing the family
business of exquisitely hand-made cartridges, & is allegedly -nearly- as
good as his dad was, which is why they're still not particularly cheap -
each one is like a musical instrument. IF mine does need a re-build it
will not be cheap, since hey routinely replace everything except the
rosewood case (which apparently *improves* with age, a bit like me.
lol!), but at least I'd get the boron magnets which weren't available in
the 1980's when mine was born. *N**ote to Clive:* you did well to avoid
ever hearing one!  ;) As Hannibal says in "The Silence Of The Lambs" to
Clarisse, you only covet what you see (or in this case, hear!). Once
I've got it all set up, which will involve some serious amateur woodwork
to create some acoustically isolated plinths & shelving, I'll let you
know if you'd like to hear what you missed - don't worry, it -can't-
compete with Shannon-Nyquist powered digital streaming from a
bit-perfect source, can it?

As for the CD nostalgia trip, that's simple - I've got hold of a Pathos
Acoustics endorphin in pristine condition, from eBay of all places. It
DID involve a 500-mile road trip & a night in a Premier Inn in
Sheffield, but since they're about as rare as hen's teeth & I negotiated
a 15% discount on the back of the journey (!) from a price that was
already below the going rate such as it sporadically is across the whole
of Europe, neither I nor my trusty 2002 MX-5 bothered too much. It
wouldn't fit in the boot (& you just have to have the large & very
carefully internally padded heavy plywood box: after staring at it for
some time, I reckon that I have now figured out -how -they made the lid
- it can't have been routed, the background is way too smooth! It's a
work of art in itself) so it slept on my double bed, with the help of a
friendly & strapping Yorkshire lass of a receptionist who helped me lug
it up from their secure (but not THAT secure!) underground car park to
the lift & thence to my room on the 9th floor: of course, once I had her
to myself in my bedroom, she wanted to know what I'd got, so I showed
her. Oh, stop misbehaving, I'm talking about the CD player!

Dave  (cool)