cliveb wrote:

> Vinyl LP technology is outdated, seriously flawed and quite frankly a
> bit of a dog's dinner.

I agree with that. Although I never ditched my vinyl collection I never
listened to it.
Until I recently discovered that it can sound a bit better than I was
used to.

cliveb wrote:

> And yet - it can sound bloody marvelous. Go figure. My personal opinion
> is that it's because human hearing is sufficiently poor that even LP can
> be adequate. (I know Arny wouldn't agree).

Yes it can sound great.
This is not to say that I'm about to ditch my CD's...
I just enjoy a vinyl album every now and then. And this is what our
hobby should be all about: enjoyment.

cliveb wrote:

> Bottom line : mastering quality is more important than the delivery
> medium. If the best master is only available on LP, then the LP will
> give the most enjoyable listening experience.

That is so true.
The term listening fatigue is probably due to poorly mastered and
compressed music.

cliveb wrote:

> As for the debate over cartridge types, I generally found that low
> output MC types gave more "boogie factor" than MM or high output MCs.

My experience with MC carts is too limited but I did enjoy the Benz Ace
which was a high output MC cart. The OC9 I have now is a low output
cart.
I didn't AB the two carts and frankly I'm not interested in doing that
(for the few vinyl records I play). But I have the feeling that the OC9
produces a tad bit more detail.

'Cambridge Audio 851D-S'
(https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/851/851d) -> 'Focal MP1200'
(http://www.mp1200.co.nf/) -> 'Focal Electra 1028 Be'
(http://www.focal.com/en/electra-1000-be-2/209-electra-1028-be-3544053695099.html)
1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.9.0.
iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
http://www.last.fm/user/phibon