Hello Junjiro,

Thanks fpr pointing this out. I was not aware that I had hit the same
problem with a (seemingly) different scenario. This is new to me, since
until now, I had always used the sticky bit on the overlay branch and
never occured permission problems that resulted in I/O errors. Also, I
always use noplink because I did not need any.

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 10:57:51AM +0900, sf...@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

> Hi Klaus,
>
> Klaus Knopper:
> > Could it be that this simplification broke the "noplink" mount option in
> > aufs3.9 for Kernel 3.9? I get I/O errors, and dmesg tells me that
> > "au_cpup_single: hi<number> exists on b0 but plink is disabled".
>
> If the message is preceeded by "I/O Error, failed removing broken
> entry(-1, -1)" and the sticky bit is set to your upper RW layer, then
> I'd suggest you to try "chmod -t /ramdisk" or "mount -t tmpfs -o
> mode=0755 tmpfs /ramdisk" after reading
> http://www.mail-archive.com/aufs-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg04202.html
> and its thread.

I have not seen that message "I/O Error, failed removing broken
entry(-1, -1)" in dmesg, but mode=0755 in my initrd (where I set up the
aufs stack) actually fixes the problem.

As for your question in the recent thread reply
http://www.mail-archive.com/aufs-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg04203.html
("Hmm... what should I do..."), I have no perfect answer. If it is
documented that sticky bits on the writable branch only (which is
default for tmpfs unfortunately) are bad, it's fine with me, but I think
that at least the dmesg error message is somewhat misleading and should
rather say something related to permissions, than "I/O error ... plink
...". It confused me, and will probably confuse other aufs users, too,
since the mount point permission change is not even related to plinks,
at least it's not apparent to a simple aufs user like me. ;-)

Regards & thanks for saving me time for searching
-Klaus

http://p.sf.net/sfu/alienvault_d2d