On April 4, 2018 3:44 PM, Robin Broda via aur-general
<aur-general@archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 04/04/2018 02:41 PM, Jordan Glover via aur-general wrote:
>
> > Can we get more explanation for this? This isn't a version bump. This
> > project
> >
> > was rewritten from scratch, the old sources are gone. The PKGBUILD was
> > written
> >
> > from scratch, packagement solutions were upstreamed[1]. Upstream points
> >
> > specifically to this package[2]. Archlinux repo maintainer wasn't involved
> > at
> >
> > all with those and there is no info if he's interested in maintaining the
> > new
> >
> > v2 version.
> >
> > [1]
> > https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/commit/fa2c95084ef9b575bfbe62543e0765623c9b8a0e
> >
> > [2] https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/wiki/Installation-ArchLinux
> >
> > Jordan
>
> It's got the same name, is written by the same author, and the versions
>
> begin at 2.0.0. Fwiw this is just a major version bump of the same
>
> package - it doesn't really matter what percentage of it has changed
>
> since the last version.

So when it doesn't share any code, doesn't share code repository and doesn't
use compatible configs it's still the same package but when it shares the same
code, repository and configs and it's named securedns-proxy it will be totally
different.

> Yes, that means the package in [community] is out-of-date, and no, your
>
> involvement with upstream doesn't matter.

I'm not the package owner.

> Regards, Rob

 The point is that the community package which doesn't build manually and
point to nonexistent sources is the one which should be deleted instead of
the one from AUR. If you prefer that upstream Archlinux instructions will look
the same as those for Ubuntu/Debian[*] then it will be done but it would  mean
that Archlinux project in current form is a joke and you role in it isn't worth
dime.

[*] "Do not install the dnscrypt-proxy distribution package, as it is old, and
unsupported."
https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/wiki/Installation-Debian-Ubuntu
​Jordan