I was trying to figure out what you were getting at. I use a glide computer, not the Mark 1 eyeball for final glides. If you are going to do really skinny final glides it better be one you are familiar with and a glider you are familiar with. I'm also very conservative and while I've taken the risk of having an outlanding in order to gain contest points I've never knowingly risked my life by going where I couldn't reasonably get to a suitable landing area. I've been fortunate to have an outstanding crew who can drive and navigate and a good trailer so de-rigging is a simple 5 minute operation. Running into a rabbit hole in the paddock is just the luck of the draw. In 63 for real paddock landings the worst damage was a flat main tyre.(there's an interesting story - don't land out on the highest ground for about 100 km around - and eagles climb better than gliders)

Anyway after looking at Google Earth and the TV footage I don't think we're talking about a misjudged skinny final glide in this case. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). Then again we may never get to know and speculation is all we have. It doesn't do any harm BTW. We have a broken glider and pilot and it can be a great learning experience to figure out how this MIGHT have happened. Trusting officialdom to come up with the truth is fraught. I know of one GFA accident investigation that was totally FUBAR because of faulty logic and lack of understanding of the characteristics of the instrumentation relied upon. The ATSB was brought into being because, quite rightly, it was perceived that the regulator would never find fault with its own rules and procedures even when they were contributory. The GFA investigates itself. Does anyone know what really happened at Ararat nearly 4 years ago? Like how many hours did the instructor have? How many solo? How many instructing? How many last 12 months, last 90 days? The US NTSB would let you know.

Mike