>>I think it was the first PRODUCTION electric SLG. See WIDOLA of that year.

There was an electric Silent 1 for sale in around 2007. The Antares
was the first heavyweight production glider. From memory, the original
Silent had a pylon mounted motor.

So far as solar panels go at night… most flying in Australia starts in
the middle of the day and finishes before sunset. That gives a while
to charge batteries. Yes, you'd need a fair array to recharge between
flights - I won't say overnight but many electric gliders come with
the array built into the roof of the trailer.