> For me, I would rather stay with petrol in spite of the disadvantages,
> because for me, well up on the list is the fact that battery
> technology is changing much faster than 2 strokes and given the recent
> posting on Schempp-Hirth spares, I would not be prepared to bank on
> something which might be obsolete in 5 years.

Chris, this is precisely the reason why the ASG 32 El carries the battery pack
in the engine bay! Including its steel container it weighs 68 kg but in this
location
it is easily accessible or exchangeable if ever a more advanced technology
becomes available in future.

All competing electrically powered gliders carry the batteries in the wings. It
not
only limits the water carrying capacity (and presents problems during rigging
and
de-rigging) but it also requires wing modifications if ever a new battery
generation
comes along. The chances of that happening are very high indeed given that the
car industry is presently investing many billions of dollars (or Euros) into
battery
research & development.

But that is only my opinion!

Kind regards to all!