Could be done on a normal glider in the wheel. You could taxi it out to the takeoff point by walking the wingtip with a little wireless controller in your hand. No towbars, wing walkers etc required. By shorting the motor outputs you may have a glider brake that really works too for very little extra trouble.

Mike

.

At 10:57 AM 9/21/2016, you wrote:
Sounds like an outrunner would be the choice for a glider wheel, enough acceleration to allow a jet sustainer to self-launch.
Jim

------ Original Message ------
From: "Mike Borgelt" <<mailto:mborg...@borgeltinstruments.com>mborg...@borgeltinstruments.com> To: "Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia." <<mailto:aus-soaring@lists.base64.com.au>aus-soaring@lists.base64.com.au>
Sent: 9/20/2016 5:11:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] electric self launch

It is just structural engineering. Put the right amount of material in the right place.You can see the pivot shaft in the videos.

I suspect the entire turtledeck fairing is non structural.

That motor design is in all sizes from very small to many 10s of kilowatts. It is called an outrunner. More torque at lower rpm so you don't need a gearbox. The electromagnet coils are fixed and the case has the permanent magnets inside it and rotates with prop attached. No brushes as they are 3 phase AC. The 3 phase is generated by solid state electronics and the current is pulse width modulated for power control.

So an electric self launch, light weight, 50:1 15m glider capable of flying at 60 Kg/sq m with built in ballistic chute. If they go as good as they look I think Peszke's main problem will be ramping production.

Mike