On 13 Oct 2016, at 11:51 AM, Angus Stewart <stewa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone else got some interesting eagle attack stories?

I heard a radio call from a bird-struck glider at Whyalla while I was soaring
near Lochiel many years ago.

A wedgie attacked one of AUGC’s gliders a long time ago (before my time). It
was a known offender, and the club spent the rest of the day with the entire
fleet swooping repeatedly over its nesting tree on the ridge while it looked on
indignantly and, I supposed, occasionally ducked.

I’m guessing we’ve all been dive-bombed during nesting season heaps of times.
They usually come out of the sun, so you don’t see them until you catch them
flashing past in the corner of your eye.

I gather they think we’re birds, and they aim for the eyes (cockpit) or wingtip
feathers, just like they do when they’re attacking other avians. I doubt their
sense of scale is very well developed, and I reckon they almost always miss
because they break off at the last second in surprise at the fact that we’re
bigger than they are.

I’ve always kept an eagle eye (heh) on them when thermalling, and never trust
them when they’re above me.

One of my best experiences in my life, though, was watching a wedgie playing in
my wingtip vortices while I was turning in lift, slowly move up the span of the
wing towards the fuselage, and look at me. Close enough that I could see the
feathers around its eyes rustling in the wind.

You really know you’ve been looked at when you’ve been looked at by an eagle in

  - mark

Aus-soaring mailing list