A NOTE has been added to this issue.
http://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=1122
Reported By:                joerg
Assigned To:
Project:                    1003.1(2016)/Issue7+TC2
Issue ID:                   1122
Category:                   System Interfaces
Type:                       Enhancement Request
Severity:                   Editorial
Date Submitted:             2017-02-28 16:51 UTC
Last Modified:              2017-03-02 06:39 UTC

 (0003582) shware_systems (reporter) - 2017-03-02 06:39
 http://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=1122#c3582
Re: 3577
For something on top of c89 to support locales that only need SBCS charmaps
that use the subset of control codes C limits applications to gettext is a
decent design. I agree, for that limited scope, it can be considered
feature complete. When c99 came out the design was not updated to handle
the potential use of L"" string form for wchar constants, as in no
interfaces returning or using wchar * types, or systems still using arrays
of short to represent UCS-2 strings. It may do this for other computer
languages, but it's not in the C interfaces. Linguistically, there is no
support of mixing R2L or T2B scripts in a L2R string, which has been part
of Unicode and ISO-6429 for years now, as well, as just 2 examples of
"non-thorough". The gettext manual's advice, in Section 4.3, on using the
BiDi control codes is "Don't do that!", because a representation of them a
translator could understand easily isn't defined. It is left up to
application developers to split or post-process strings needing features
like this so the applications accommodate gettext, not gettext
accommodating what the standards allow.

The most glaring extension, also visible in the manual, is requiring --
switches without corresponding short forms on the utility command lines for
various options, and so the code base is dependent on GNU's getopts, not
POSIX's. Admittedly, I haven't looked at the autoconf sources to see how
many other package dependencies there are, but that alone is disqualifying.
Even if all the options had short forms, limiting POSIX versions to only
using those would break any script using the long forms.

Re: 3578
I have no desire to do a Waldorf Astoria, or even a Motel 6, on something
like this. I'd prefer packages like gettext kept getting updated, and did
not use extensions that went against the utility guidelines. Supporting
Unicode means little niceties like BiDi support can no longer be considered
luxuries, however, as any Unicode data stream, including u8", u", and U"
strings in C11 source files, may request features like this. Ensuring there
are no potential conflicts with implementation defined aspects catgets and
gettext allow means something entirely new is the least pita means of going
about it that I see, that's all, so string translation source sets have the
symbolic tagging that preserves that content. If enough isn't included, any
country needing missing features to accurately represent their historical
scripting or encoding conventions will be justified, imho, in voting
against ratifying Issue 8. If enough is, an elegant enough design provides
a framework that various to do lists stand a chance at getting completed.
This I would like to see happen. I suspect the people that wrote the lists
to begin with would too.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change
section 3 and 4