Stephane Chazelas dixit:

>So you mean a pdksh-like exec and a command -e to bypass builtins? And
>exec command -e cmd to run an external cmd in the same process?

I’d be happy with a new flag for command to buypass
special builtings, functions and builtins. Users ask
for that often enough, though in (m?)ksh land we can
use '$(whence -p progname) args' to the same effect
(except it horridly breaks if progname is unavailable).

I’d not have used env for this… I had considered
adding it as mksh builtin on and off for a while,
and the “<i>utility</i>” invoked *may* be implemented
as a builtin (see the other mails). (Of course it’d
stay available as /usr/bin/env, possibly as symlink
to mksh which has supported busybox-style execution
of its builtins for a while now.)

bye,
//mirabilos
--
  “Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having
          a peeing section in a swimming pool.”